We’re calling on you, our fans, to create a new logo design for Saint Paul Brewing.
Passionate about beer and love Saint Paul? Think it would be fun to design a logo? Saint Paul Brewing is looking to update our look and we need your help. We’re seeking a local design-driven fan to help us update our logo.
We are under new ownership and have made major investments in the interior and exterior space. We are keeping the name Saint Paul Brewing, but seek a fresh new look and a new logo to accompany our change of license to full beer, wine, liquor and full kitchen to capture the new look and feel of Saint Paul Brewing.
Nestled between layers of bluffs, Saint Paul Brewing (SPB) is a truly one-of-a-kind destination. Situated on the grounds of the historic Hamm’s Brewery complex on the Near East Side of the city, the popular gathering spot features delightfully eclectic indoor and outdoor spaces perfect for all kinds of groups. Offerings include a rotating selection of small-batch beers, crisp seltzers, and an approachable, chef-driven menu, all served in a welcoming setting.
You’ve experienced the uniqueness of this place. If you haven’t been to Saint Paul Brewing in the past month, we highly recommend you make a return visit to take in all of the many changes.
Contest Rules & How to Enter
- Electronic submissions only; submitted through the entry form on our website
- Entries must be submitted by 11:59pm CST on July 6, 2022
- Up to three submissions per person/group. Only one prize per group.
- Entries must conform to the Submission Guidelines set out below. Entries that fail to do so will be rejected.
- Entrants will be notified if their submission will move to the second round by Jul 14, 2022
- The second round of entrant submissions will have 2 weeks to revise based on feedback from SPB Logo Contest Team
- The final Selection of the winner and runners-up will be announced by Jul 28, 2022
The purpose of the contest is to design a logo for Saint Paul Brewing (SPB). The logo will be used online, in print, and on merchandise. Flexibility is a key requirement, including the need to resize easily. The logo should be in color but also work well in a 1-color format. The final version of the logo will need to be a vector file, suitable for both web and high-quality printing
Entrant submissions must include:
- Design delivered as a single file in an electronic format.
- Accepted file formats are .jpg, .jpeg, .png, and .pdf
- Max upload size is 25MB
- Written narrative about the logo/ branding development. Tell us the story!
- Must include ‘Saint Paul Brewing’ or ‘SPB’
Entrants should consider:
- Interpret the unique attributes of our location, clientele, and beers
- Plan a site visit during operating hours to observe the space — no appointment necessary!
- Bonus: check out one of our Brewery Tours!
- Avoid branding/designs from other breweries
- Avoid Hamm’s logo elements. It’s our home, but not our brand.
- Avoid gradients or half-tones
- Incorporate our name, but avoid using the abbreviated ‘St.’ instead of ‘Saint’
- Be adaptable to our sister brand ‘Saint Paw Brewing’ for our canine friends
- Our mottos: “Saint Paul’s Friendliest” and “Come for the History, Stay for the Beer — and Bring your Dog!”
The winning Entrant will receive a $5000 cash prize, plus the right to identify themselves as the logo designer. Runner-up will receive $1000 and Second Runner-up will receive $500. Prizes are subject to federal, state, and local laws.
The first 50 submissions will receive a $25 gift card to Saint Paul Brewing for use on food or drink at the brewery. One gift card per Entrant team. This prize remains the same regardless of the size of the team submitting the entry.
Judging & Selection of Winner
- The winning design will be selected by the Saint Paul Brewing Logo Contest Team. Their decision will be final. No further correspondence on the selection shall be entertained. Entries will be judged on their visual appeal, adherence to the concept prompting the contest, quality of design, and ease of reproduction for the purposes stated above.
- Saint Paul Brewing (SPB) reserves the right not to select an Entrant as the winner if, in its sole discretion, no suitable entries are received.
- SPB reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant or Entry at its sole discretion. No further correspondence on disqualification decisions shall be entertained.
- The winner will be required to sign a contract assigning all ownership of the logo to SPB.
- Accepting the prize constitutes permission for SPB to make public and otherwise use the winner’s (or runners-up) name, and for publicity purposes. Further personal data may be requested but is not required.
- By entering, the winning (and runners-up) entrants agree that their name and photograph may be used by SPB for promotional purposes without further remuneration.
- Timetable for final selection and announcement of a winner is subject to change, due to the need to confirm that the winning entry can be registered as a trademark.
- Final selected designs may be asked to make revisions based on the feedback of the selection committee. The prize awarded will be considered compensation for this work.
- Entrants affirm their submissions are their own original work, have not been copied from others or from previous designs, including their own, and do not violate the intellectual property rights of any other person or entity.
- Submissions become the property of Saint Paul Brewing (SPB) and may be used for any SPB purposes including, but not limited to, display on websites, business cards, letterhead, posters, and other materials. Artist usage of their design(s) for SPB within their own portfolio of design work is permissible.
- SPB shall have the right to adapt, edit, modify, or otherwise use the winning submission in part or in its entirety in whatever manner it deems appropriate.
- SPB reserves the right to choose not to use the winning entry as described in these contest guidelines.
- SPB reserves the right to use any other entry for promotional purposes in the future.
- If the winner is determined to have violated any rules, he/she will be required to forfeit or return the prize, even if the determination is made after the prize has been awarded.
- Saint Paul Brewing (SPB) is not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, or otherwise unusable entries, including entries that are lost or unusable due to computer, internet, or electronic problems.
- SPB reserves the right to cancel or modify the Contest and award the prize by alternate means if fraud or technical failure is determined at any time by SPB, including after the submission window has closed.
- SPB is not liable, for the purpose of winner and prize notification and delivery, in the event the contest winner has provided incorrect, outdated, or otherwise invalid contact information
Participation constitutes the Entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules. By participating in the Contest, the Entrant is representing and warranting that he/she has read and understood, and agrees to be bound by, these rules. Including the guides and rules referred to herein, these Official Rules constitute the entire agreement between the Entrant and SPB in relation to the Contest. They govern the Entrant’s participation and supersede any prior or other agreements between the Entrant and SPB relating to the Contest.
We are no longer accepting submissions.
Why is this a contest instead of hiring a professional designer or firm?
Saint Paul Brewing had reviewed portfolios, vetted designers, and chosen one to work with on this logo design and rebranding project. After several months and multiple rounds of design options,the results just weren’t “it” for us. In the interest of time and in perhaps finding a needle in a haystack we are casting the net wide to find the artist / designer that truly gets and fits our vibe. This opens up the opportunity to people who have spent time within the space.
If I submit a design, may I use it in my portfolio?
Yes. When you submit the design usage rights transfer to Saint Paul Brewing where SPB retains the permanent rights to the concepts and content created; however, inclusion in the design portfolio of the artist is permissible for the purpose of providing samples of design work.
If I win or am a runner-up, is there opportunity to be paid for further development of the full brand kit?
Yes, absolutely! That is our hope. The logo design contest is the starting point of this work and process.